Wednesday 27 July 2016

Welsh Wednesday #97

Can't Kick Up The Roots by Neck Deep

I'm not a big fan of the kind of American pop-punk that comes out of places like LA. It's all about skateboarding and life being shit when you just know those kids were raised in affluent, upper-middle class neighbourhoods with their own swimming pools and never having to worry about whether mummy and daddy could afford the mortgage.

Neck Deep make that sort of music, but being from Wrexham they obviously have a different take on things. The sound is there, but instead of declaring their hometown to be rubbish, in Can't Kick Up The Roots they seem to be celebrating where they come from. Let's get this straight - Wrexham is no LA. I've never actually been there, to be honest, but I'm pretty sure you'll find it's just not so sunny or cheerful or rich or glamorous or showbizzy as the City of Angels. You'll probably see that from the video.

In 2014, Neck Deep released their debut album and won the Kerrang! Award for Best British Newcomer. The following year, their second LP 'Life's Not Out To Get You', from which Can't Kick Up The Roots is taken, came out to much acclaim. As I said, it's not really the sort of thing I normally go for, but there's something rather infectious about this track that I can't shake off.

As a sidenote: TheMadster saw Neck Deep in Cardiff last year, spending the evening in the mosh pit. She returned home bruised, dripping with sweat and grinning from ear to ear. "That's my girl," I thought to myself. I was so proud.



1 comment:

  1. Bloody hell they do sound like... If they ever get discovered in the USA they would make it. There are some American radio stations that love this sound and would be on regular rotation.

    ReplyDelete