Friday 16 February 2018

New stuff wot sounds like old stuff #4

OK, so if you live in the UK and haven't heard of Shame yet, then either:
 a) you've been hiding in a cave in the middle of friggin' nowhere for the past 6 months;
 b) you've become a monk, living a simple, silent life in a cave in the middle of friggin' nowhere for the past 6 months; or
 c) you have absolutely no interest in music whatsoever. And you've been living in a cave in the middle of friggin' nowhere for the past 6 months.

Basically, they are THE band to watch in 2018. Steve Lamacq thinks they're the new Clash or something. Probably. Actually, yeah, he probably genuinely does. Anyway, I wasn't quite convinced the first time I heard them, but their debut album 'Songs Of Praise' that came out last month is really rather fine. Quite a few styles going on but I suppose they could be described as punk/post-punk/new wave if you wanted to put labels on them.

I'm not going to get to see them when they play Cardiff in April. Aside from the fact it's sold out, we're watching our wallets for a bit so gigs have to take a back seat. Which is a shame (arf!) because I reckon Shame will be fecking amazing. I hope they are for everyone lucky enough to be there.



Right. That's quite enough young whippersnappers doing proper music. I'm off to listen to some old people. Where are you, Mr Cave???

5 comments:

  1. Best album of the year so far.
    Swc

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'One Rizla' eventually won me over to Shame in much the same way as 'Well Done' did with Idles a couple of years ago. I just didn't see the appeal of either of those bands initially, but Lammo wore me down! It'll be interesting to how Shame develop and where Idles go with their second LP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I fit into category a, b or c but this is the first time I've heard of Shame. I have more or less got out of the habit of listening to radio 6 recently. That song sounded pretty good, worth investigating further.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took a punt on the album a couple of weeks back and think the risk may yet pay off...though I was disappointed it didn't include their ode to Theresa May, the track that proved to me they were worth watching as (unlike most new guitar bands these days) they have a sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read about this lot in The Guardian a while back and the appallingly fawning piece really put me off them.

    I've tried listening to a few tracks and I find them awfy one-dimensional and dull in that there was absolutly nothing new about them. But then again, I'm not the demograph they're pursuing

    ReplyDelete