Monday 9 February 2015

A year in the life?


One year ago today, I posted my very first article on Is This The Life? It wasn't my first blog, but I knew it would be different to others I'd attempted before. I intended it to be somewhat autobiographical, aligning my life to the music I was listening to at the time. I achieved that, but carried on regardless, posting regularly and surprisingly still having plenty of things to say.

And so here we are - one year later and 190 posts to the good. A couple of meltdowns and tantrums along the way have nearly ended the whole thing but thanks to you lot and the interest you've shown, Is This The Life? is still alive and kicking. Well, it's breathing anyway...

To celebrate this special day I'm going to post two tracks, one rather old and one newish. There's no theme or link here, I just like 'em, OK?

Wolf Alice is one of the most hotly tipped new bands of the last couple of years. MrsRobster and I will be seeing them in a couple of months on what is believed to be their last tour of small venues before they go stratospheric. Their debut album is due later in the year. Expect big things. She is a track from the 2013 EP 'Blush'.

I recently found a new barbers in Newport. It had loud reggae blaring inside so I obviously had to check it out. I got one of the neatest trims I've ever received from the Rastafarian barber. I could have stayed there for hours just for the music. One of the tracks that I remember was this take on Cat Stevens' The First Cut Is The Deepest by I Roy. It featured on his debut album in 1973 which launched a successful career for a decade. Sadly his popularity declined in the 80s during the dancehall era. Illness and homelessness plagued his later years before he passed away with heart failure in 1999 aged just 55. He left some great tunes.



Soundtrack:

That was going to be it for this post, but just before going off to bed last night, I came across this and just had to share it. His Holy Godliness Bob Mould live on Letterman on Friday night. Fuck me, can Bob rock! Amazingly incredible awesomeness to get your week started.


10 comments:

  1. Alright, happy birthday then, Robster: I do hope there's plenty more stuff to come in the following years! Keep up the excellent work, please!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Robster! Love Wolf Alice too. Looking forward to seeing them at some stage. Only book in to a festival type event so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your 1st birthday!
    My barbers is lovely, with very nice staff, but I do have to listen to Bland FM while I'm in there. Your new place sounds amazing. I think I'd have extremely short hair if it was in my neck of the woods though - I'd be in there all the time! Golden age reggae while having a haircut, does it get any better?
    That Bob Mould clip is terrific too. It's interesting that he's always stuck with the trio format, but I suppose with a bassist that good, who needs a second guitarist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh one year old already. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Bob Mould footage Robster. Congrats on the first year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 1st birthday. I've enjoyed reading all your words and look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers folks. Always nice to hear from you, thanks for the kind words. That Bob Mould clip really is the dog's danglies isn't it. The sheer energy for jeepers sake...

    ReplyDelete