Saturday 12 March 2016

The Devil's Music

The Devil's Right Hand by Steve Earle

To be honest, I'm really not much of a country-rock fan. I just get images of rednecks and right-wing nutjobs waving the Confederate flag and voting for Trump[1] running through my head when I hear it. I can't help it. Ol' Satan will have a lot of fun with that lot when it's time. Or so I like to think. Mind, there are a few tracks on Steve Earle's 'Copperhead Road' that are somewhat listenable, mainly because of the political songs on side one being very un-right wing. The Devil's Right Hand seems to be one that other country legends have a particular liking for. Bob Segar and Waylon Jennings released very similar versions to each other, while Johnny Cash, true to form, made it his own. But for today, here's the original. 



Soundtrack:


[1] Surely it is no coincidence that the word 'trump' is sometimes used to mean 'fart'?

2 comments:

  1. Steve Earle is the polar opposite of a right wing nut job - about as left wing as an American can get

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good choice Robster. I really like Steve Earle first for his music and second for what he stands. He's one of the less left wing Americans. Good to hear him once again.

    ReplyDelete