Sunday 14 January 2018

Bowie Week II: "Heroes"

To round things off, a bonus post featuring what is probably David Bowie's best known and most heralded song. "Heroes" (don't forget those quotation marks) has been covered perhaps more than any other Bowie song, so today here's a small selection. They're just the first five that came to mind. If I'm still doing this next year, maybe I'll dig up a few different ones. In the meantime, see what you think of this lot. All of them are a little different to each other while never straying far from the original's path. Only Kirk Brandon goes for the full album version though, and I think that's my fave of the bunch. But you gotta admire Lemmy for having the sheer audacity to change some lyrics!



5 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of versions of Heroes that avoid a rock and roll interpretation. My favorite of these is Iva Davies (Icehouse) quietly dramatic interpretation.
    Another is PJ Proby's version which is almost a requiem. It may be over the top, but it's riveting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robster - this has been a great week of posts.Hope it re-ignites your mojo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite of this bunch is Motorhead's interpretation, though I just checked out the full length PJ Proby version on Echorich's recommendation - now that's far out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work this week Robster. I'm a big fan of the Dame's German language version of 'Heroes'. Worth an outing here perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb week of postings.

    The writing stood out for me more than most of the covers....but then again, I'm a Bowie fan of sorts rather than knowing and having everything, even from the golden era.

    Brave of you to post the Kasabian cover. It's as bad as that one by The Cure the other day!!!

    ReplyDelete