Wednesday 17 May 2017

Reggae Wednesday

Sophia George was a teacher of deaf children when she had a global hit in 1986 with Girlie Girlie. It made the top 10 in the UK, but she never charted here again. I've never been a big fan of the electronic reggae sound of the 80s, but always thought Girlie Girlie was such a great song. Perhaps too good, in that nothing else I've heard by her comes close to it.

Girlie Girlie is not a song about an effeminate man, but rather about one who has a girlie in every street in every town:

  "Him have one up here, one down there / One in Hannover, one down a Vere
  One she's a lawyer, one she's a doctor / One wey dey work with a little contractor
  One down a east, one down a west / Him have one up north, and two down south
  One a sell cigarettes pon de roll-about cart."


Ten years later, after five albums, George and her husband moved to the States and she retired from music. Trivia fans may like to know that her son, Patrick Chung, plays for NFL side New England Patriots.



3 comments:

  1. Wow, I haven't heard this since....1986 probably! I remember it well though, a nice little pop song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here but never ever forgot that chorus. Love this one.

      Delete
  2. I'm more blown away with the NFL fact....I had absolutely no inkling of that and I know my sports trivia!

    ReplyDelete