Saturday 8 October 2016

The Genius Of Nick Cave

#19: As I Sat Sadly By Her Side

After 'The Boatman's Call', Nick overcame his heroin and alcohol addictions, meaning it took four years for his next record to appear. 'No More Shall We Part' initially received mixed reviews, but with hindsight it actually has some exceptional songs on it. It opened with As I Sat Sadly By Her Side, a solemn discussion between a man and a woman about the human condition, with a kitten in a cameo role. Nick ends the song smiling, the woman crying.



1 comment:

  1. 'No More Shall We Part' was an album I loved initially, mainly as it was the first new material in so long and also because I got uo close at the Glasgow Barrowlands when he toured it. As time when by I began to see some flaws in it - mainly that the songs were a bit too long - but it is still one I enjoy on the few occasions I give it a spin.

    ReplyDelete