Sunday 12 December 2021

Best of 2021 (part 2)


This week's pick of my favourite albums of the year features a really diverse range of stuff, all of it by female artists. You may enjoy them, you may not, but I love every one of these.

LITTLE SIMZ - 'Sometimes I Might Be Introvert'
You may remember I mentioned back in the summer that I was blindsided by Little Simz's incredible track Introvert. The album that followed is well worth a listen too, displaying her enviable talent for rhyme and rhythm, as well as a range of musical styles. On this brilliant Afrobeat-infused track, she teams up with fellow British-Nigerian artist Obongjayar.

KING WOMAN - 'Celestial Blues'
I was turned onto this record by Shirley Manson of Garbage. Not that I know her personally or anything - she was speaking to Steve Lamacq on 6 Music and mentioned that this was what she was listening to at the time. Doom metal meets shoegaze - sounded right up my street, and it definitely is. Play this one LOUD!

MARISSA NADLER - 'The Path Of The Clouds'
To calm us down a bit after that, though no less ominous, here's another wonderful moment from Marissa Nadler. Her 10th album draws on themes of metamorphosis, love, mysticism, and murder, and the result is arguably her best record yet. Gorgeous, as always.

SHE DREW THE GUN - 'Behave Myself'
For some reason, prior to last year's brilliant one-off single, the Frank Zappa cover Trouble Every Day, I was unfamiliar with She Drew the Gun, other than my mate banging on about how good they were. I really should listen to other people more. Their third album has been a highlight this year, and MrsRobster in particular is a big fan, especially of the title track which she says makes her feel a bit mischievous! She Drew The Gun will become our first gig in two years when we see them in February. Oh, and a word of warning: do not watch this video if you are offended by words.

 Another selection next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment