Saturday 11 August 2018

Happy Weezer Birthday MrsR...

Yep, 'tis the (far, far, far) better half's birthday today. We celebrate such occasions with music, so today I'm wooing her with Weezer. MrsRobster is something of a Weezer fan, see. She gets quite excited when they pop up on the car stereo. Her favourite bits are the Beach Boys-esque "oooohs", though ironically, she can't stand the Beach Boys. I know, I know, but I love her all the same.

Now, there are some people who refuse to accept that Weezer were any good after their first two albums, that 'Pinkerton' was their finest moment. Which is, of course, absolute rot. Everyone with a set of functioning ears knows that 'The Green Album' was their best, and I'm not going to hear any arguments. It is, and that's it! MrsR is rather fond of the band's more recent work too, so here is a track from each of their last three albums in glorious technicolor.

First up, from last year's 'Pacific Daydream' is Mexican Fender. Now, I'm not a big fan of this album, it's a bit lightweight and poppy for me, but she-who-knows-best likes it so who am I to argue. The video features a beautiful woman on a beach and a besotted seagull who tries to win her affections. It doesn't end well...



California Kids was the opening track off 2016's 'The White Album' which I reckon is their best record since the green one. The "ooohs" in this really gets MrsR going! The video references the previous three vids made for songs from the album so if you don't get it, perhaps look them up - Thank God For Girls | King Of The World | LA Girlz :



Next, it's Go Away from 2014's 'Everything Will Be Alright In The End' in which Rivers Cuomo is joined on vocals by Bethany Cosentino of Best Coast. While the song details a break-up - Rivers pleading for another chance after seriously fucking up, Bethany telling him to just go away - the video shows a hapless Rivers, assisted by his bandmates, trying to win the affections of Bethany via a dating app.



And finally, my favourite Weezer video, and possibly my favourite video by anyone ever: Keep Fishin' from 2002's 'Maladroit'. Because nothing - NOTHING - beats the Muppets!



3 comments: