Monday 21 May 2018

Drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip...

When MrsRobster works on a Saturday, I do the housework. How very modern of me. Once the vacuuming is done, I stick a record on to help me through the rest of it. Saturday is vinyl day, see. This past weekend, for some reason, I wanted to listen to something old that I haven't heard in a while. I chose the first Cure album 'Three Imaginary Boys'. Don't know why, but who needs a reason? It was like listening to something new - I haven't heard most of those songs for so long.  I can't pretend to have bought this when it came out - I was barely 8-years-old. I recall picking it up when I worked in Our Price. I spotted it in a pile of marked-down stock and grabbed it then. It was probably a mid-price reissue rather than an original, but it did have the illustrated insert. I also realised that I had noted down the tracklist on a piece of Our Price notepaper, being that the album itself doesn't contain any song names whatsoever. Instead we get a rather pretentious set of pictures and symbols to 'inform' us of the songs. Such nonsense.

Of course, 10:15 Saturday Night remains the record's best known track for good reason, but this one went down really well during my cleaning sesh:


Here's two very different demos of the aforementioned classic for good measure. Both vary distincltly from the final album version, but the early Robert Smith solo demo is barely recognisable.


Then on Sunday, MrsRobster and I prepared fajitas for ourselves, TheMadster and TheEmster, her other 'alf. Our soundtrack was my compilation of every Cure single, though of course we didn't get through the whole lot. "I forget how much I like The Cure until I listen to them again," she told me. I've already told you that Pictures Of You is our song, but I've also long been a big fan of A Forest, a proper gloomy goth classic, worthy of being posted here in its full-length album form.


5 comments:

  1. Same things happen to me from time to time Robster. Not knowing any reason for grabbing very old records and listen to them. And sometimes I ask the same question. Anyway, thanks for bringing the great Cure back to my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard those '10.15' demos before Robster, thanks for sharing them, they're absolutely fascinating. Smith's home demo is like a different song. The first time I saw The Cure was in 1979 when they were support on the Siouxsie & the Banshees tour. Morris & McKay had walked out on the Banshees earlier in the tour and Robert Smith played with both bands.
    Today (Monday) is housework day at Swede Towers. My job is to vacuum the place from top to bottom while Mrs S attends to the intricate stuff, deep cleaning in all the nooks and crannies. We treat ourselves to chips every Monday evening as a reward for our endeavours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Robster, I had a copy of this as a b-side on Small Wonder, which is probably worth a fortune now. BTW, there's a Peel version of Halt which slags off a review by Ian Penman, of the NME if I remember correctly. I am not too young to remember. A fantastic debut single and album. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got more into the Cure in recent years than I ever was when I was younger. A Forest is superb, especially in the full 12" version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Music is the only thing that gets us through chores. Love the old Cure!

    ReplyDelete